- This event has passed.
YWCA CHANGING GEARS Class 1 Truck Driving Training Program for Women
March 23, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
YWCA CHANGING GEARS is a Free 23-week Class 1 Truck Driving Training Program for Women
With YWCA Changing Gears, you’ll have the opportunity to acquire a Class 1 license (which allows you to drive not only semi-trailer trucks, but vehicles requiring a Class 2, 3 or 4 license, too) as well as the training needed to kickstart your career in transportation.
This Project-Based Labour Market Training (PBLMT) program offers training to eligible women to gain the skills necessary to obtain their Class 1 Drivers Licence.
All participants require a referral to the program from a WorkBC Centre. WorkBC will cover the cost of transportation and childcare.
March 23, 2020
The first six weeks will take place in Vancouver (Marpole) and the subsequent driving lessons will take place in the Valley, depending on where participants live (Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Surrey, Chilliwack or Langley).
- Class 1 Driver training and on-the-road practice (city and mountain)
- Air-brake Certification
- Group pre-trip course
- National Safety Code (log books)
- Defensive driving, Extreme driving Courses
- Load Securement – practical
- Hauling Freight, Commercial Driving Courses
- SMART Driver Course
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Occupational First Aid Level I, WHMIS
- Self-defense training
- Health and Wellness component
- Job Search support and placement with local employers
- Evasive Maneuvers
Our training is provided in partnership with Valley Driving School.
Eligible participants are unemployed women:
- Currently on EI or have been within the last five years OR;
- Have earned $2,000 or more and paid employee EI premiums in at least 5 of the last 10 years OR;
- Have established a benefit period and were paid maternity benefits within the past five years and are re-entering the labour force
- Have a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract
- No outstanding fines and/or bridge tolls
- English proficiency
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Ability to commit to 23 weeks of full-time classroom and practical training
HOW TO REGISTER:
If you meet the eligibility requirements, contact your local WorkBC Centre and ask for a referral from a Case Manager.
To find a WorkBC Centre near you, please visit workbccentres.ca
For more information, contact Changing Gears at: